Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Editing: the commercial

     One might think by reading the title of this blog that it was going to be about how I edited my commercial today. However, that is not the case. I came in on Friday and our editing software was not working. I thought it was going to be resolved by today. Our teacher told us that it would hopefully be repaired soon. I even went to study hall yesterday and a representative came in and told us that the principal said we will be getting new equipment. I’m not angry or anything. I’m grateful we got to reshoot some scenes we needed for our commercial. To begin with, we came in and after we realized the computers were still not working we signed out the equipment. I then checked the tripod and Rafael checked the camera battery. Once we began to film I took the role of the cinematographer again. I had to reshoot the actors going into the bathroom again. The footage somehow got lost in the transfers from SD cards to computers. We reshot that scene about three times because we were not content with the replay. We changed it from a pan to the door to a handheld shot of the actors walking in with a zoom in on them. Shortly before this it had been raining so the atmosphere in our clips might be different. When viewing the footage before we noticed that one of the actors, Angelo, had put their headphones in off camera. Because of this we had to shoot a scene that incorporated him putting in his headphones. Rafael has also changed his hair in the second day of shooting. We decided to have Rafael put his hair up and Angelo put his headphones in, in the same scene. I also shot this scene handheld but without the purpose of it being shaky. The scene we decided to put these features in was the reaction scene from when the actors here someone coming into the bathroom. Before we shot this we also had to reshoot the inside view of the actors walking in. This scene was taken multiple times because we tried multiple angles. I was frustrated because this scene was just fine the first time we took it. I was also annoyed my actors hadn’t realized their appearance wasn’t the same on the second day. There were also criticizing my camera work and were quick to move onto the next scene without rewatching. Once this scene was over, the tension calmed down and we shot the last scene we needed. This was the scene where we accommodated the changes in their appearances in the film. This scene only needed two or three takes and we finished. We packed everything away and came back up to the class room. I signed back in the equipment and am now writing my blog. Hopefully by next class we can edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment